General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
U995 Laboe
Posted by: Octopus ()
Date: November 28, 2007 01:09PM

Not really a dicussion but just thought I'd mention a trip I've just returned from.
Whilst in northern Germany last week I took a day out to visit U995(Type VIIC/41)and the naval memorial at Laboe. What an awesome sight she is as you walk along that beautiful baltic beach towards her.

I was fortunate enough to have the whole boat to myself and spent nearly an hour looking at everything. It was quite an experience to stand at the periscope in the controlroom. I would thoroughly recomend making the effort to visit, followed by the moving experience of the Naval Memorial. This huge brick built tower contains wreaths and plaques to ships such as the Tirpitz, Bismark and Scharnhorst. It really brings home the reality of what happened during that period and reminds you that they aren't just something you read about. You can also get a good view of U995 from above.

Travel to Laboe is very easy. From Kiel central train station (hauptbahnhof) you catch a 100 bus from directly outside the station. That goes direct to the small fishing town of Laboe (approx 40min journey for about 4 euros). If you're travelling from April-Oct a ferry runs from the harbour out to Laboe which is somewhat quicker and direct. Tourist info office inside the train station, virtually everyone speaks very good English! Well, much better than my schoolboy German.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U995 Laboe Octopus 11/28/2007 01:09PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.