General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
A Tribute to Volkmar Koenig
Posted by: panama60 ()
Date: September 30, 2008 08:35PM

Volkmar Koenig, a German U-boat officer who was also a prisoner of war, died on August 22, 2008. He was 87 years old and his remains have become part of the sea, a fitting end for a man who spoke to me about his love of the ocean.

Because of the novel I am writing about a German U-boat radio operator who is captured and sent to a prisoner of war camp in Arizona, Herr Koenig was kind enough to spend many hours with me. His memories of those days while he was a member of the U-boat arm of the German Navy, while a Canadian prisoner of war,his views on Nazi Germany, and life after the war have proved invaluable to my research.

He took my husband and I to Moltenort to see the striking U-boat Memorial and to Laboe, to see U-995. Of course, because of his service on U-99 with the famous U-boat captain Otto Kretschmer, we were welcomed on board with a smile. There was no need to pay entrance fees because we were the guests of Herr Koenig. He did not pretend to be an expert on the workings of a U-boat, but as we walked through U-995, there were people on board, mostly German, who came to realize he was a former U-boat officer and gathered about him like a rock star as he told his stories. I watched him as he spoke to them. He was poised, gracious, a man with bearing and distinction who had a great sense of humor. Here was someone who had served on a U-boat, a war machine that struck fear even in the heart of England's Winston Churchill. Herr Koenig was indeed a national treasure, a man willing to share his experiences and reflections.

Many times after I returned home Herr Koenig would call me to ask if I had any questions, but we kept in touch mainly because we had become friends. I last spoke to him on July 12 and he told me of his illness. It is with a sense of deep sorrow that I write of this man who showed me such regard and openness.

I wish to send my regards at this time of mourning to his wife, Dorothee Koenig, his three children and their spouses, his grandchildren, and his many friends.
Geraldine Birch
www.theswastikatattoo.com

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
A Tribute to Volkmar Koenig panama60 09/30/2008 08:35PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.