General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Sinking of Unknown British Merchant ship
Posted by: bob clarke ()
Date: November 06, 2009 04:42PM

I collect Great War gallantry medals and memorial crosses/plaques/scrolls to Canadians.

I have in my collection a group of medals to one Ldg.Smn. William LAURIE RCNVR who, although shown on the books of HMCS Brandon, was aboard a British merchant ship which was sunk in late January 1942. Documents from Archives Canada state "Missing on War Service. He was borne for passage to Canada in a British merchant ship which sailed from a United Kingdom port about 7January1942 and has been missing since 24January1942. While this rating is listed as missing it is impossible to make an estimeate as to his chances of survival" In the event those chances were zero!

As virtually all my research focuses on Army awards, the Navy items are a mystery to me. Would your members be able to assist with information relative to: what convoy, if any, would have sailed about this time/ what British merchant ships were sunk in this January 1942 time frame in the Atlantic / possible UBoats active in the Atlantic at this time who had sunk a British merchant ship(likely a large list)

I would appreciate any information you may be able to provide.

Thank you.

Bob

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Sinking of Unknown British Merchant ship bob clarke 11/06/2009 04:42PM
Re: Sinking of Unknown British Merchant ship Rainer 11/06/2009 05:31PM
Re: Sinking of Unknown British Merchant ship bob clarke 11/08/2009 06:40PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.