General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
U-Boat Provisioning, R&R in Haiti rumors
Posted by: BobbyMacG ()
Date: May 10, 2010 07:25PM

Hi

Does anyone have any good rumors, besides those published in U-Boat.net, about U-Boats getting fresh provisions, possibly diesel fuel, maybe even some R&R ashore in The Caribbean during WWII?

I was 12 years old during WWII. I lived on Long Island Sound in NYC directly across from USMMA in Kings Point. Coming from Europe freighters used to enter Long Island Sound at Montauk Point, to avoid U-Boats, and cruise down the Sound (SSW) toward Stepping Stone Lighthouse by Kings Point. There they would gather groups of 15 or 20 waiting for their call to enter the East River and head south to the New York City Docks. There they would discharge their ballast, often bricks and mortar from destroyed London homes, and take on cargo.
While they anchored in the Sound, some for a week or more, they would discharge their waste, YUK, and lower down ropes with with money, often not US, and a note asking for cigarettes, whiskey, eggs, cheese whatever, and the local boys in their rowboats, some with supplies in their boats, would take the money, put a fair amount of what they asked for in the pail and wave it up. If they didn't have it they would put a note in the pail with a bik OK and row to shore for it. The crewmen were treated fairly especially since they often lowered the pail with the ships watch nearby fussing with his rifle. We often wondered what if.......
Now thats the truth now heres the rumor.........At night girls would be rowed out to the ships for parties. At 12 years old I had to be in bed at that time. But from my window, I could see the lights on the ships and hear the strange music coming across the water and occasionally a Glenn Miller record that maybe someone had taken on board.
So if you have any Caribbean rumors tell me or give me the link.
Thanx
BobbyMac

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-Boat Provisioning, R&R in Haiti rumors BobbyMacG 05/10/2010 07:25PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.