General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Whither the U-Boats? The Potsdam Agreement and the TNC
Posted by: Derek Waller ()
Date: November 29, 2010 05:05PM

Dear All,

The Potsdam Agreement and the decisions of the associated Tripartite Naval Commission (TNC) are critical elements in the story of the disposal and destruction of the Kriegsmarine after the end of the war in Europe, as they formed the basis of the actions that led to the ultimate fate of all the U-Boats that surrendered.

However, this aspect of the U-Boat story has been given relatively little detailed coverage, despite the fact that all the relevant papers are available in both the UK PRO and US NARA archives.

I have therefore written an explanation about this element of the final history of the WW2 U-Boats, and this has just been published as a “article” on the website uboat.net.

In particular, it explains the process for the allocation of 10 surrendered U-Boats to each of the 3 Allies, and the decisions that led to the disposal of the remainder.

It also explains why some U-Boats were subsequently commissioned into the French and Norwegian Navies, despite being “unallocated”, as well as highlighting the story of the 11 uncompleted U-Boat hulls that the Russians removed from Danzig just before the war ended.

I hope that Forum readers will find my article interesting, and I should welcome any feedback.

Yours aye

Derek

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Whither the U-Boats? The Potsdam Agreement and the TNC Derek Waller 11/29/2010 05:05PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.