General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Rescue mission...
Posted by: Synorbs ()
Date: January 07, 2011 05:58PM

There was an epic rescue mission that happened during WWII. From what i can remember it was conducted by a german u-boat picking up italian u-boat sailors and a whole host of other people from the water.

At first i thought i must be the Laconia one, however the rescue mission i am thinking of made it home, or to at least a friendly port without having been attacked.

It was from what i can remember italians, possibly people from a ship they had sunk and i think passangers from another german u-boat. My memory is very fuzzy on this so i hope you can forgive me.

However, to anyone completely familliar with german u-boat acimplishments in WWII it shouldn't be hard to remember. I am pretty sure it was in an area of hot climate, so nothing northern. From what i can remember i think it was to the right of Africa somewhere around that area.

What made, from my memory, this rescue so special was it had a u-boat towing such a long line of rafts and dingies for such a long time over such a large expance of sea. Plus it had italians, germans and i can't say for sure but i think some actual P.O.W.s too.

The commander of the u-boat ended up highly decorated for his efforts as i can remember from the program him being welocmed ceremoniously wand being presented with a medal of certain importance.

Any help would be much obliged, it's one of those things i can almost remember, it's right on the top of my tongue and slowly erroding my sanity.

Thank you. grinning smiley

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Rescue mission... Synorbs 01/07/2011 05:58PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.