General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
U-582 & Schulte
Posted by: Eric Stone ()
Date: September 26, 2011 05:18PM

All,

I have a few questions concerning U-582 and Werner Schulte:
1. Has anyone come across any explanation for the boat's poor performance on her third patrol which was off the US East Coast in April of 1942? This was generally a period of great success for the ubootwaffe, but other than spotting a neutral Portuguese steamer and a failed triple shot at a fast passenger ship they came up empty. I see instances in BdU's KTB of time wasted on rendezvous' and re-fuelings, but no clear answer. There are also references to it being a full moon period when they were in their operational area off Cape Hatteras, which would have limited their ability to surface at night. Commander and boat had successes before, and the patrol that followed was very successful. It just seems odd to me.
2. On the successful fourth patrol off Africa they sink the Honolulan on July 22nd and provide assistance afterwards as usual, offering food & water (not needed) and providing cigarettes and course to land. Five days later on the 27th they sink the Stella Lykes. The master and the chief engineer were taken prisoner by the Germans and cigarettes, first aid supplies and the course to the nearest land were given to the remaining survivors. I know there was a directive issued in June about the capture of officers. My question is why did they take prisoners from the Stella Lykes, but not Honolulan? The previous attacks on this patrol resulted in massive loss of life, but all the Honolulan crew survived. Was it simply because of the minimal space on the U-582 (a type VIIC), and the Stella Lykes' Captain and Chief Engineer had the misfortune of being U-582's last victim before they headed home? Also, can anyone post or send me the June directive and the exact date issued?
3. I assume that since no pictures of Schulte seems to exist on the web that none are available, but just in case, if anyone has one can they share?

Thanks,

Eric Stone
www.ssarkansan.com

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-582 & Schulte Eric Stone 09/26/2011 05:18PM
Re: U-582 & Schulte Rainer 09/27/2011 08:49PM
Re: U-582 & Schulte Eric Stone 09/27/2011 11:22PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.