General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Cautious german commanders?
Posted by: tonyingesson ()
Date: March 30, 2012 01:00PM

Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum, but I've been a big fan of subs/u-boats for quite a few years. Quite recently I've started to read about the US sub campaign against Japan in Clay Blair's "Silent Victory". The thing that struck me was just how many of the American commanders in the first year of the war (esp. the first months) who were found to be unsuited to command, i.e. very cautious, had nervous breakdowns, asked to be relieved, etc. I'm thinking of guys like Ray Lamb, Larry Freeman, Joseph Callaghan, Morton Mumma, Waldeman Christensen, Roland Pryce, Tyrell Jacobs, etc.

From what I remember about the German commanders, I know that Dönitz scorned for example Bleichrodt for being insufficiently aggressive (although mechanical breakdowns and ASW forces had a major role in that), but how many German commanders were relieved of their commands for being insufficiently aggressive and/or having nervous breakdowns, in the 1939-1940 time period (i.e. the first year of the war)?

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Cautious german commanders? tonyingesson 03/30/2012 01:00PM
Re: Cautious german commanders? jcrt 04/04/2012 05:12PM
Re: Cautious german commanders? tonyingesson 04/05/2012 06:33AM
Re: Cautious german commanders? Felix C 04/07/2012 10:25PM
Re: Cautious german commanders? tonyingesson 04/10/2012 06:51AM
Re: Cautious german commanders? Felix C 04/11/2012 07:52PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.