General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
U-boat officer and Fordham University graduate rescued by USN
Posted by: Donald James ()
Date: May 26, 2012 10:53PM

A decade ago during a funeral home visitation I spoke with an African American originally from Harlem, New York City. This man was a US Navy WW2 veteran and we exchanged veterans stories. I recall he was on a smaller ship (perhaps a destroyer?) and U-boat survivors came aboard and were placed under guard on the fantail of the ship. A Jewish USN crew member was translating German to English during the interrogation of the prisoners. When a U-boat officer, perhaps the commander, was called upon for interrogation he said in the hearing of the USN veteran telling the story: "Speak to me in English you little Jew boy, I am a graduate of Fordham University".

Additional details about the possible identity of the U-boat, USN ship, date and location besides the officer in question are of interest since my eldest niece now attends Fordham University.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-boat officer and Fordham University graduate rescued by USN Donald James 05/26/2012 10:53PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.