General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Diplomat
Posted by: Gibbons1973 ()
Date: March 08, 2013 09:14PM

Hello everyone I'm not new to this forum I just haven't logged in for some time.
I've been doing a little research on a merchant vessel called the Diplomat on 27 Nov 1940 my Grandad (Patrick Gibbons) who was a Fireman & Trimmer and his brother in laws my Two great uncles Augustus Bassatt & Thomas Bassett (Brothers) ocupation's unkown were on a ship called the Diplomat there were on there way back from America in a convoy they were straggling behind the convoy when they were torpedoed by U-Boat 104 commandered by Harald Jürst.
My Grandad lost his life in the attack Augustus Bassatt & Thomas Bassett both survived, Decades later I remember my Great uncle Augustus Bassatt's wife talking about that day on the 27 Nov 1940 she said my Grandad Patrick Gibbons was pulled into a make shift raft by Augustus & Thomas Bassett as the Diplomat was going down but he was frozen stiff but before they'd both decided to place him over the side of the raft Augustus (nickname Gus) stuck a pen knife in the side of his face once it was certain he was gone they let him go over the side to be claimed by the Atlantic Ocean.
My late Father Patrick Gibbons who's dad am talking about in this storie was only 5 years old when this happend and does not remember his Father very well he had vague memories of him. I would like to find out more information on my Grandad and the Diplomat I don't even know what he looked like there has never been any pics of him in the family ever, I would like to hear from anyone who had family members who served on the Diplomat or anyone who new Patrick Gibbons after all it is a small world.
Goodnight god bless
Paddy Gibbons

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Diplomat Gibbons1973 03/08/2013 09:14PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.