General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Unidentified footage of U-96 and others
Posted by: jackm ()
Date: March 14, 2013 02:20AM

Hey there - I've only ever lurked on these forums as I'm not particularly up to snuff with my Second World War naval history, but I thought I'd jump in as I thought this might be of particular interest to people here.

I was going through some archival captured wartime German footage on the British Pathé website and happened across this 1943 newsreel:

[www.britishpathe.com]

British Pathé appears not to have retrospectively identified the U-boats in this footage. Does anyone have any ideas? Several of the boats shown have visible identifying emblems - the first has a bull painted on the conning tower, I think - but the one that really grabbed my attention was 0.43. Note the laughing swordfish emblem! That'd pretty conclusively be U-96, yes? Probably coming back from one of its later patrols if this film was shot a year before the British captured it, say?

Just wondered if anyone else had seen this before, and if the other boats can be identified!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Unidentified footage of U-96 and others jackm 03/14/2013 02:20AM
Re: Unidentified footage of U-96 and others vito 03/15/2013 08:03AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.