General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
WW2 what questions to ask a surviving torpedoed UK sailor?
Posted by: mathias151 ()
Date: June 25, 2017 04:09PM

Tomorrow I am meeting a local English man, aged 90, who was torpedoed once or more times in WW2. (we live in West Wales, and I am Welsh). I am a local historian, aged 76 (!) very anxious to preserve all local memories of times past. However, I know little about either RN life, or merchant navy life. I have not met this gentleman yet, but my usual habit, when interviewing older people, is to keep the channel of communication open. Memories once stimulated will keep coming back to us all. All I know about him is that he was an "electrician"... but not yet sure if this is accurate.
I would be very grateful for any suggestions as to what questions I should ask. From looking through the information pages of these interesting and excellent pages I have thought of the following... if known...
1 Ships name and type
2 U Boat name
3 Any names of officers or serving men - from either ship or U boat or convoy
4 Where the uk ship had left, and destination
5 in a convoy?
6 what goods etc was the ship carrying?
7 time of day
8 place of attack
9 date
(also personal details, name rank number, date and place of birth etc of my informant)

I am personally interested in the pattern of life on his ship... a daily diary, food eaten, uniform worn, sleeping, washing, laundry and toilet facilities, discipline on board ship, ... anything else???

I have been told that he will be bringing photos... which I am hoping will also be useful records... not often I get this sort of opportunity.

I intend, if we both survive, to keep in occasional touch with him, so that if new memories come back he can let me know. I will be making informal recordings of his recollections.

If anyone can suggest anything else I should try to find out I would be very grateful...

Thank you, Danke schön, Diolch yn fawr
Jen

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
WW2 what questions to ask a surviving torpedoed UK sailor? mathias151 06/25/2017 04:09PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.