General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Seeking Information of U-242 and U-1271
Posted by: Max Uechtritz ()
Date: January 07, 2019 02:10AM

I am researching the two boats on which my uncle served - U-242 and U-1271.

He was IWO Ewald Uechtritz.

I have the two boats' service records from this site BUT am trying to locate (a) any photographs of either and (b) whether any of the crew members are still alive. I know the latter is a very unlikely long shot as they would have to be aged well into their Nineties.But you never know in research.

I am seeking photos of an U boas at bases used by U-242, especially Grand Hotel, south of Hamina in the Gulf of Finland.Also Stavanger, Kristiansand, Helsinki and Pillau.

Re U-1271, I hope to find photos from its surrender to the British at Bergen, Norway, on May 9, 1945 or even when it was towed to Loch Ryan, Scotland, on June 2 1945 for eventual sinking in Operation Deadlight.

If anyone has heard of any specific other research (perhaps by family members of other crew) of either of these boats it wold be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Max Uechtritz (Sydney, Australia)

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Seeking Information of U-242 and U-1271 Max Uechtritz 01/07/2019 02:10AM
Re: Seeking Information of U-242 and U-1271 Max Uechtritz 02/11/2019 03:50AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.