General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Nikola Tesla: for Finn Bonsett
Posted by: Don Baker ()
Date: December 13, 2000 08:00PM

<HTML>Hi Finn
Your earlier posting concerning Nikola Tesla and the detection of submarines by means of underwater sound (ASDIC/Sonar) has really interested me. As an electrical engineer I am well aware of Tesla and his position as an icon of electrical engineering. However, I have always associated him with electrical and electromagnetic devices and theory. I can not remember any information source which links him to underwater sound theory or underwater sound developments or associated equipment. This has resulted in some appreciable time spent in searching the literature for any thing which would link him to submarine detection by means of underwater sound. There are tons of information on Tesla on the internet in addition to many books and reference sources. Of course, I have been unable to read everything available in this short period of time but a check of his many patents, his autobiography, and a fair list of the other published material fails to turn up any information associating him with ASDIC/Sonar.

My general feeling at this time is that he probably did not have anything to do with the development of submarine detection by means of underwater sound. However I really would like to pin this question down. Could you send me more information on the source of your earlier information? I would appreciate that very much. Also, I would be eager to hear more about this from anyone on the Forum who might have additional information.

Best regards to all and thank you for whatever information you might provide.

Don B
</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Nikola Tesla: for Finn Bonsett Don Baker 12/13/2000 08:00PM
RE: Nikola Tesla: for Finn Bonsett Fin Bonset 12/18/2000 02:02PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.