Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Yet another gripe at U-571
Posted by: Ian Stapley ()
Date: August 06, 2004 06:10PM

I caught roughly half of U-571 last night, after avoiding it all this time. As an action film it has some merits but as a serious submarine movie it falls short.

Is it me, or is the sub interior too large? Having recently seen Das Boot, where everybody was more or less living in each other's pockets, it seemed way too roomy, especially the bunk scene, which seemed more appropriate for an Essex clas carrier than an S boat but anyway.

The gratuitous "Atrocity" sequence just seems to have been included to engender anti-German feelings, unless Mostow took all his references from those "Commando" comic books. In fact, the film seems to be a parody of sub movies, generally, viz the obvious CGI torpedoes lifted from Red October.

I watched about an hour of the film, then gave up after the torpedo firing sequence as I was becoming irritated.

In short, OK if you like a lot of action and noise in your sub films, or even just pure escapism but not for those who like a touch more realism.

Mind you, Das Boot is still the yardstick by which all other sub films are measured, in my opinion anyway.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Yet another gripe at U-571 Ian Stapley 08/06/2004 06:10PM
Re: Yet another gripe at U-571 ROBERT M. 08/06/2004 07:31PM
Re: Red October Dan Girard 08/07/2004 12:40AM
Re: Red October ROBERT M. 08/07/2004 04:19AM
Re: Yet another gripe at U-571 Les Robertson 08/09/2004 09:43AM
Re: Yet another gripe at U-571 ROBERT M. 08/10/2004 04:43PM
Re: Yet another gripe at U-571 ROBERT M. 08/07/2004 04:50AM
Re: Yet another gripe at U-571 Daryl Carpenter 08/07/2004 04:58PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.