Was Das Boot partially inspired by "Alien&quo
Posted by: Daryl Carpenter ()
Date: February 06, 2004 07:26PM

<HTML>Put your straightjackets away and bear with me for a few minutes. I'm sure no one quite bought it when I said that U-571 was a rip-off of "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan". But now I'm starting to think that Das Boot was at least partially inspired by Ridley Scott's Alien. Put away the rope, here's a dozen similarities between Das Boot and Alien:
-Both take place mostly in small, dark, wet and grimy places
-Both have innovative lighting and clever uses of condensation, smoke, dry ice, etc.
-Both movies strive for realism (Alien a fictional "realism", obviously)
-Both movies exploit human fears of claustrophobia and inevitable death in an inescapable enviroment
-Both have long, drawn-out suspense sequences
-Both are mostly quiet, offset by sudden bursts of action
-Both have fast, jumpy tracking shots through cramped corridors
-Both use creepy, inexplicable sound effects to make the audience uneasy
-Both have a very similar color palette (brown, gray, black, white)
-Both have mostly unknown actors that later became well known
-Both were directed by relative newcomers, who later made it big in Hollywood
-Both effectively destroyed long-set cliches (invincable German submarines; heroic space travelers)
-Both are the high standards of their respective genres (sci-fi horror; submarine flicks) and have been the source of ineffectual rip-offs.
Am I just a little nuts, or am I on to something?
(Humor option): Both movies have scenes where a primary character suffers from serious indigestion.</HTML>

Subject Written By Posted
Was Das Boot partially inspired by &quot;Alien&quo Daryl Carpenter 02/06/2004 07:26PM
Re: Was Das Boot partially inspired by &quot;Alien Wiljan bakers 02/07/2004 08:39AM
Re: Was Das Boot partially inspired by &quot;Alien Caroline 02/07/2004 09:30AM
Re: Was Das Boot partially inspired by &quot;Alien George Roumbos 02/10/2004 12:10AM
Re: Was Das Boot partially inspired by &quot;Alien Elias Ekonomou 02/15/2004 01:23PM
Re: Was Das Boot partially inspired by Daryl Carpenter 02/16/2004 05:17PM