General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: RKT survivors of the Kriegsmarine
Posted by: Craig McLean ()
Date: May 10, 2001 08:23PM

<HTML>I\'d forgotten Gummi had the commanders list so nicely broken down on the one opening page--that had to make the initial research much easier!!

Still, to carefully fine-tune such a list (and I would have to agree 104 should be very close to, if not the, right number), it might still be useful to see if any commanders passed away while in captivity. Many German soldiers did die while in captivity after the war, a fact commonly never brought up these days; lack of medical attention, starvation, or other factors accounted for this, I imagine.

I spoke with LtzS Guenther Schueller (1st Watch Officer aboard U-1228--they finally sank a corvette off Newfounland [Canadian, I think he said], before the war ended and they finally surrendered their boat to the US) who was visiting one day at the U-Boot-Archiv last November. He said he spent about a year in a camp in Mississippi, USA and was later transferred to a British camp in Belgium, where he spent approx. another year.

Some commanders weren\'t released until 1947, and if I\'m not mistaken, one or more may have been detained as late as 48, and maybe 49. Those held longest should be easy to research, if you\'re curious. I think Gummi may even have who it was on his site who was held the longest.

Still, whether any commanders (or any other U-boat men) died while in captivity after the war is totally unknown to me. I\'d be curious to hear what you find out if you look into this aspect.

Best,
Craig

</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
RKT survivors of the Kriegsmarine Christoph Schwartz 05/09/2001 11:47PM
RE: RKT survivors of the Kriegsmarine Craig McLean 05/10/2001 04:57PM
RE: RKT survivors of the Kriegsmarine Michael Lowrey 05/10/2001 06:55PM
RE: RKT survivors of the Kriegsmarine Craig McLean 05/10/2001 08:23PM
LtzS Guenter Schueller Craig Mclean 05/11/2001 04:40AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.