General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: RKT survivors of the Kriegsmarine
Posted by: Michael Lowrey ()
Date: May 10, 2001 06:55PM

<HTML>Christoph,

I think the answer depends greatly on what you mean by a \"post-war autograph\" - are you thinking of any autograph signed after the Knight\'s Cross holder was released from captivity or an autograph signed from 1957 on (I believe) when the display of denazified WWII military medals was allowed in West Germany?

The section on the Knight\'s Cross on this web site provides some basic information. Of the 144 KC winners in the U-boat service, 40 are show as having died in combat or through other causes during the war (including Luth). This would leave 104. Most ended up in American or British captivity and would have been released shortly after the war ended. I would presume the answer, regardless of the definition, would be close to if not 104, especially given the relatively young age of those that served on U-boats.

If you extend the question to include all Kriegsmarine KC winners, then the question becomes much more complicated, as far less has been written on the non-U-boat Kriegsmarine winners of the award.

Best wishes,

Michael</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
RKT survivors of the Kriegsmarine Christoph Schwartz 05/09/2001 11:47PM
RE: RKT survivors of the Kriegsmarine Craig McLean 05/10/2001 04:57PM
RE: RKT survivors of the Kriegsmarine Michael Lowrey 05/10/2001 06:55PM
RE: RKT survivors of the Kriegsmarine Craig McLean 05/10/2001 08:23PM
LtzS Guenter Schueller Craig Mclean 05/11/2001 04:40AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.