General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Caribbean U-Boats
Posted by: Robin ()
Date: August 07, 2001 01:23AM

<HTML>Hi All.
I have just begun re-reading G.Kelshall\'s U-Boat War in the Caribbean and noticed a comment on Pages 84-85 stating that during the early stages of the campaign before the air cover was fully implemented, that to give the crews a break from the heat and action against shipping some u-boat commanders would take their boats in close to the many small uninhabited islands, camoflage themselves and give the crew a rest on shore for a day or two. Also to supplement their diets they would sometimes trade with the local fishermen.
My question is: Would a commander take this risk, would it be possible to get in close enough to shore without grounding the boat to let the crew ashore, and are there any recorded records in U-Boat diaries that support this.What would a u-boat trade with. I find it all a bit hard to believe. I would welcome your views or any factual records.
Regards
Robin</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Caribbean U-Boats Robin 08/07/2001 01:23AM
RE: Caribbean U-Boats walter M 08/07/2001 05:19PM
RE: Caribbean U-Boats Jack 08/08/2001 09:38PM
RE: Caribbean U-Boats walter M 08/09/2001 12:26PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.