Modeling and schematics  
Looking for schematics or helpful tips on modeling? This might be the place for you to share your ideas. 
9th Flotilla emblem color
Posted by: john ()
Date: September 10, 2000 05:42PM

While I'm putting my 32nd Parallel VIIc boat through a major yard overhaul, I'm trying to go back and do some things better.

I modeled U96 in honor of the film/book, and because it had an interesting and long life. By chance, I happend to find an old New York Times issue that details the air raid during which U96 was lost, though the article doesn't detail any sub losses. Now for the problem...

In every source I've been able to find, including the portrait of U96 shown on the back cover of Showell's book, the 9th Flotilla's grinning sawfish emblem is shown as red with a white outline. However, in the film it's shown as blue.

Was this an error on the part of the filmmaker? Or is my red emblem incorrect?

I'm also contemplating adding the 2nd (37mm) flak station to the back of the conning tower. Anyone have any experience with this?

--John

BTW: for those who haven't seen this, I highly recommend the DVD version of Das Boot Director's cut. Watching the film with the director's comments on is particularly interesting, Peterson highlights the scene where the full sized model started to break apart, and sure enough, you can see the gap beginning to appear just forward of the conning tower.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
9th Flotilla emblem color john 09/10/2000 05:42PM
RE: 9th Flotilla emblem color Dakota 09/10/2000 06:27PM
RE: 9th Flotilla emblem color David Charles 10/16/2000 06:22PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.