Modeling and schematics  
Looking for schematics or helpful tips on modeling? This might be the place for you to share your ideas. 
Hand wheels, for the AA and deck guns, also
Posted by: Einsamer Wolf ()
Date: October 07, 2000 05:28PM

Hey Kids,

My young wolf is maturing nicely. Sea vents and limber holes have been correctly, uniformly carved out, as paint has been applied. All that really remains include rigging, the ensign question, and detailing the guns and the gear on tower (compass, fernsprecher, and so on), as well as copying and transfering the infamous Cat Times 3 emblem to a decal sheet. I have obtained drawings for the deck and AA gun, and have developed a pretty cogent strategy to build convincing arm rests and all. But I am a little baffled about the hand wheels.
It has been suggested to me that a good option is to pick up some N scale break wheels from Walthers, or a local hobby store. The problem is that the whells I have been able to locate look nothing at all like those featured on Germany's u-boats, which
had only four spokes exclsuively. So, I am soliciting counsel to see if there is another way, or if I should just resign myself to this inaccuracy.
It may interest you to know that the local train store is probably going out of business, so they are not taking special orders at the moment. And it may be a bit cost-prohibitve to pay $6.00 shipping for $2.00 in merchandise, as would probably be the case if I were to order from Wlathres or some otehr web-base merchant. And yes, I checked HR fittings, drydock.com, and none of them have handwheels. Again, any suggestions most welcome.
As a final note, I am also interested in knowing what fellow contributors might suggest about the rigging, particularly the pullies that suspend the lines in front and back of, as well as on the sides of tower. And article I read suggested beeds, but I am not absolutely persuaded by this; thus, any input you may have on this issue would also be beneficial.

Warm Regards,

Einsamer Wolf

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Hand wheels, for the AA and deck guns, also Einsamer Wolf 10/07/2000 05:28PM
RE: Hand wheels, for the AA and deck guns, also joe brandt 10/07/2000 07:31PM
RE: Hand wheels, for the AA and deck guns, also uh? what was that 10/12/2000 06:18PM
RE: Hand wheels, for the AA and deck guns, also Greg Stone 10/13/2000 03:36AM
RE: Hand wheels, for the AA and deck guns, also Einsamer Wolf 10/13/2000 02:03PM
RE: Hand wheels, for the AA and deck guns, also David Charles 10/13/2000 04:04PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.