Modeling and schematics  
Looking for schematics or helpful tips on modeling? This might be the place for you to share your ideas. 
Abandon ship--before its too late!
Posted by: Einsamer Wolf ()
Date: April 30, 2003 02:32PM

A couple of years back, I too realized what a joke--a very bad, sick joke at that-- this thing was only upon having opened the box. After a strong and persistent lobbying effort on my part, I was able to get my money back---that is how poor the quality of the kit is. Incidentally, the prop gear is not the only problem. The conning tower has a hole in the back, where a lever is supposed to go. At risk of offering unsolicited advice, I would nonetheless urge you--in the strongest terms possible--to write your losses off now. Spare yourself any forlorn attempt at modelling heroics; it is truly a lost cause. If you want a type IX--go with one of the Nichimo kits, which, though the box says motorized, are quite respectable. Otherwise, for Type VII productions,. you have the two Revell kits in 1:125. And, if you think you can fill the jock of the more advanced modellers, there is the Amati kit, which I am almost finished with. (I cannot believe I am pulling it off!) Finally, as I am sure you aware, Revell is releasing a 1:72 scale Type VII C at the end of the year. Given the many difficulties encountered in the Amati design, stemming from the multimedia of brass, wood and resin, as well as poor design and sloppy detail in certain respects (anti air gun and deck gun lack important details and require some conversion work, some which admittedly exceeds my abilities), the upcoming Revell kit in 1:72 scale may be the very best option out there. As to the academy travesty--I would strongly urge you to realize here and now that it is a forlorn cause. Even a waterline diorama, given the hole in the tower, among other things, is problematic at best, a veritable impossiblity at worst. Perhaps if you have a young boy in your life, a son or nephew for example, you can do a quick build up, to go as a splendid bath-tub toy! What youngster would not want a toy U Boat to play with in the tub or pool? I believe, most emphatically, that is the only purpose that this kit could ever properly serve.

Best Wishes,

Einsamer Wolf

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Academy 1/150 Type IXB Grant Goodale 04/28/2003 11:28PM
Re: Academy 1/150 Type IXB Rainer Bruns 04/29/2003 12:39AM
Re: Academy 1/150 Type IXB Grant Goodale 04/29/2003 11:31AM
Abandon ship--before its too late! Einsamer Wolf 04/30/2003 02:32PM
Re: Abandon ship--before its too late! Grant Goodale 04/30/2003 04:31PM
Re: Abandon ship--before its too late! Einsamer Wolf 04/30/2003 04:44PM
Re: A shock horror? J. Brennan 05/01/2003 05:29AM
Re: A shock horror? Woody 06/14/2003 09:02PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.