Modeling and schematics  
Looking for schematics or helpful tips on modeling? This might be the place for you to share your ideas. 
deck gun color and air intake of U99
Posted by: Hitoshi ()
Date: June 06, 2003 11:14PM

hi Harry,
I am building Revell U99, too, and thoroughly checking photos of the boat. As far as U99 is concerned, the color of the deck gun is darker than that of the upper hull at least one time. This can be confirmed by the pictures on e.g. page 24 and 28 of 7th U-BOAT FLOTILLA(by Showell and Konstam). These photos may have been taken in the latter part of her life because she had ducts for air intake on her both sides of the conning tower.These famous photos have been offten wrongly said of U101, but a larger photo shows the boat has the Golden Horseshoes on the tower.
The problem for me is when U99 was attached the air ducts on her tower and the name of the ship above mentioned photos taken from.

A picture clearly shows that on her returing of the 3rd patrol on 5th Aug. 1940, she did not have the air ducts yet. I guess that U99 was attached them after the 7th patrol when she was severely depth-charged. I mean that this time the conning tower could be damaged, and taking this occasion it was repaired with the ducts.
If so, the above mentioned picutures were taken during her last patrol after 22nd Feb. 1941 when she left Lorient.
Any comments?

Happy U-boating,
Hitoshi

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
deck gun & antli aircraft gun color for the U- HARRY GILDAY 06/03/2003 12:03PM
Re: deck gun & antli aircraft gun color for th Wiljan Bakers 06/03/2003 02:00PM
Re: deck gun & antli aircraft gun color for th Einsamer Wolf 06/03/2003 09:40PM
deck gun color and air intake of U99 Hitoshi 06/06/2003 11:14PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.