Modeling and schematics  
Looking for schematics or helpful tips on modeling? This might be the place for you to share your ideas. 
Re: U-boat models
Posted by: Pat Croley ()
Date: November 28, 2003 02:22AM

If you use the plastic figures from Tamiya, Italeri, etc., you might want to look into getting a hot-knife to make the changes.

I have one made by X-acto. I think it's item # 378. At least, that's what's stamped on the face of it.

It has a soldering tip which can be removed and replaced with the standard set of X-acto knife blades.

When hot, you can carve regular styrene plastic almost like butter and it's a great help in making such alterations. With it, I've been able to transform even such things as an Airfix redcoat with a brown bess musket into an 18th century gentleman with a double-barreled shotgun.

It has the added advantage that you can undercut many of the clothing features. For instance, cutting under the wrists of jackets so that you can see partway up the forearm, cutting behind lapels to give the appearance of the shirt going inside the jacket instead of looking like just another molded piece.

Or, I've taken small, 1 piece solid parts like 1:200 scale 37mmFLAK and cut them apart so that I could add hinges and make them traverse/elevate, etc.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-boat models Ismo Mehtälä 11/21/2003 01:08PM
Re: U-boat models Grant Goodale 11/21/2003 05:07PM
Re: U-boat models Pat Croley 11/28/2003 02:22AM
Re: U-boat models Wiljan Bakers 11/23/2003 06:09PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.