Modeling and schematics  
Looking for schematics or helpful tips on modeling? This might be the place for you to share your ideas. 
U 997 - authentic camo pattern?
Posted by: Dougie ()
Date: September 10, 2006 12:08PM

Hello again,

While we are talking about U 997, can anyone confirm that the scribble-style camouflage pattern depicted on the box of the 72nd Revell VIIC/41 kit was ever used on Kriegsmarine U-boats? On the box, the model of U 997 has a dark grey and light grey camo pattern, plus dark scribbles (or thin squiggly lines) over the light grey.

The only image I could find of the box art was at -

[www.abcmodelsport.net]

I apologise for this poor image, as the scribbles can hardly be seen, but I don't have a better link.

I've seen the wavy scribble lines on Luftwaffe camouflage patterns (on Dornier 217s, Junkers 88s and Junkers 188s). But I've yet to see it on any photos of U-boats. Have Revell used this attractive Luftwaffe scribble scheme on their box art just to boost sales or was it an authentic U-boat camouflage pattern?

Thanks,

Dougie

PS. U 997 certainly didn't have any camo pattern in July 1944 as a colour photo shows the boat to have had one colour (a darkish grey) on the upper hull and tower at that time.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U 997 - authentic camo pattern? Dougie 09/10/2006 12:08PM
Re: U 997 - authentic camo pattern? Bas 09/11/2006 03:42PM
Re: U 997 - authentic camo pattern? Ismo Mehtälä 09/15/2006 02:18PM
Re: U 997 - authentic camo pattern? Bas 09/17/2006 07:55AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.