Modeling and schematics  
Looking for schematics or helpful tips on modeling? This might be the place for you to share your ideas. 
Revell Type VII U-99 1/125
Posted by: Yannis ()
Date: March 11, 2007 10:00PM

Hi,

I just bought my first model U-boat the other day. I'm a new to modelling - last time I did this as a hobby was 20 years ago. I was hoping I could get some advice from more experienced members.

I gave the (two halves) of the hull a primer of white (spray). My friend, who is a minatures fanatic recommended a basecoat as this will allow the acrylic to adhere better. My question is, what color paint would you recommend for the hull? I perused several photographs of the same model, and it seems that two tones of gray are used (minus weathering effects, rust, etc.) The paints I picked up are a German Grey and Dark Grey(bottle) by Tamiya. The question is that above the waterline, there seems to be a ligher grey applied to the deck and control tower, and a darker grey below the waterline. Can anyone recommend colours for this boat, and if spraying the best technique for the hull? I imagine German Gray is appropriate below the waterline, but what of above?

Also, I imagine covering the areas above the waterline(and vice versa) with some sort of masting tape would be advisable if I'm going to spray the hull, correct? If so, which masting tape could you recommend?

Finally, any other advice would be helpful.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers,

Yannis

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Revell Type VII U-99 1/125 Yannis 03/11/2007 10:00PM
Re: Revell Type VII U-99 1/125 DanOdenweller 03/11/2007 11:30PM
Re: Revell Type VII U-99 1/125 rokket 03/12/2007 12:42AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.