_ Forum in deutscher Sprache  
Herzlich Willkommen!
Hier kannst Du Postings in deutscher Sprache stellen.  
Re: U569 - sunk in the Atlantic-may 22, 1943
Posted by: Peter McNaughton ()
Date: February 24, 2007 03:11PM

Hello,

I just had your email translated. Several years ago I came in contact with a member of the crew of U569 which was sunk in the mid-Atlantic on May 22nd, 1943. His U-boat was sunk by Avenger aircraft from the USS Bogue. The pilot was Lieutenant "Champ" Chamberlain.

My friend's name was Helmut Stenger. he was only 16 years old when this happened. Subsequently he was sent to a POW camp in my Village of Comrie in Perthshire, Scotland - Camp 21 Cultybraggan.

In time after returning to Aschaffenberg in Bavaria he emigrated to Phoenix, Arizona where he lived until he died just two years ago.

I have been trying to find other members of this submarine and what happened to them after they were rescued by HMCS St. Laurent.

I would also like to have a conversation with anyone who was on board the u-boat and what happened to the other surviving members of the crew.

Both Helmut and I became members of the "Friends of USS Bogue" whre his story was published four or five years ago.

I now live in Montreal and can be reached at info@rossion.com or rossion@videotron.com

Thanks

Peter

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U569 - sunk in the Atlantic-may 22, 1943 Peter McNaughton 11/29/2001 04:16PM
Re: U569 - sunk in the Atlantic-may 22, 1943 Willie Kibbat 03/18/2002 03:35PM
Re: U569 - sunk in the Atlantic-may 22, 1943 Peter McNaughton 02/24/2007 03:11PM

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.