Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
RE: Diving procedures & trim
Posted by: Fissi ()
Date: June 24, 2000 11:50AM

Answer to point a)
The ballast tank 3 (Tauchzelle 3) was no "flood negative" tank. It was used as a normal ballast tank. I think what you mean is the Untertriebszelle, outside the pressure hull. The type VII b did not have these tanks. The type VII c had them for the first time. On the surface these tanks were flood to dive faster. At the depth of ca.15m they were blown, otherwise they would have been bursted.
b)
I do not know exactly but I think the tank 3 was not fully filled.
c)
The watertight stern (Wasserdichtes Heck/Back) was flooded before diving. The purpose of these two tanks was to make the submarine more stable in the open sea. If the stern was pulled under surface by a wave, it always emerged because of the buoyancy(lift).
d)
I do not know how robust they were but the trimpump could pump 300 l/min at a depth of 105m. And sure, compressed air could be used but normally they used the "Hilfslenz- und Trimpumpe".
e)
Yes I think so, but I do not know what the maximum depth was (maybe 180m ?).

I hope you understood my english.
I am sorry for being so bad !!!
MfG Fissi

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Diving procedures & trim The Mule 06/23/2000 01:40PM
RE: Diving procedures & trim Fissi 06/24/2000 11:50AM
RE: Diving procedures & trim Garth Mobey 06/28/2000 06:36AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.