Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Allied Experience with Fido
Posted by: Forest ()
Date: May 28, 2001 02:04AM

According to this website\'s pages, there were 62 Fidos dropped by \"Allied (Primarily British)\" aircraft, and these sank 6 u-boats, for a ratio of just under 10%. These are not included in the 31 kills you listed, so the total drops were 204, and total kills were 37, for about 18%. I know some submarnes took more than one hit.

That said, this site contradicts some of these claims. For example, U-657 is popularly known as the first Fido victim, but Uboat.net credits her loss to HMS Swale. I\'m not trying to diminish the achievements of the Fido, but these kill statistics are not necessarily 100% accurate.

I have an audio recording of the Fido hit on I-52 (recorded via sonobuoys onto the wire recorder of Cdr. Jesse Taylor\'s aircraft). I am trying to get it digitized and posted on combinedfleet.com in the next few months. It\'s pretty cool.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Homing Torpedo efficiency Krzysztof Zietkiewicz 05/15/2001 12:23PM
RE: Homing Torpedo efficiency Ken Dunn 05/21/2001 12:31AM
RE: Homing Torpedo efficiency Krzysztof Zietkiewicz 05/22/2001 12:46PM
RE: Homing Torpedo efficiency Ken Dunn 05/22/2001 11:24PM
Fido and U-boats kurt 05/23/2001 03:50PM
more on Fido kurt 05/24/2001 02:59AM
Allied Experience with Fido Forest 05/28/2001 02:04AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.