Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Attack scope questions.
Posted by: Leif... ()
Date: October 01, 2001 07:02AM

Hi,
I'm searching for information regarding the periscope in the conning tower, often referred to as the attack periscope,

The information I have so far is:

Magnification 1.5 & 6.0
View can tilt from -15 to +70 degrees
That there exist some sort of sun filter. Was there only one?
That the problems with vibrations in the scope when traveling above 6 knots where solved, but I don't know when.

What I would like to know is:

How about brightness, was the lens opening big enough to enhance the view or was the view in the scope darker compared to a naked eye?

Turning the scope was done with electric motors as far as I know, was it one speed only?

The US subs had a stadiometer in the scopes for range finding, did the type VII scope have the same or how did they estimate the range to a target?

Could the person sitting at the scope fire the torpedo himself when all the data had been setup or would he have to give the command to fire?

I haven't been able to find any pictures of the attack scope on the net, so if anyone know were to find it please let me know.

Hopefully someone can answer some of the questions.

Regards Leif...

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Attack scope questions. Leif... 10/01/2001 07:02AM
Re: Attack scope questions. Nicolo 10/01/2001 02:46PM
Re: Attack scope questions. Leif... 10/02/2001 05:18AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.