Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Re: watches
Posted by: joe brandt ()
Date: October 27, 2001 01:03PM

During WWII German watches were is very short supply due to the fact that most of the watch factory production went to making timers for fuses etc. There were many German makers and to fill the shortage gap watches were purchased fromSwitzerland . Early war watches were made to a very high standard and can be identified by a screw back with an eagle and swastika and The letter "M " ,the watch was water proof and shock proof . As the war dragged on quality went down to meet the growing demands and late war watches had a snap on steel back and was not shock proof or water proof , even for U-boats ! If you are interested I have an ALPINA watch ( late war ) that I have and since I do not collect watches I would be willing to sell it . This watch did come from a U-boat as it came with a Dräger tauchretter and a set of gray leather jacket and pants ( these I collect and are not for sale ! ) . Late war wrist watches had no stamps or other markings on the back , just a plain snap on cover but on the face had the makers name and "K.M. ". I hope this helps you , if you need more information just let me know !
Niall wrote:
>
> Did any one company supply u-boat officers with wrist watches
> and, if so, are they still making watches?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
watches Niall 10/26/2001 08:31PM
Re: watches joe brandt 10/27/2001 01:03PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.