Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
U-BOAT Sanitary Facilities
Posted by: Harvey ()
Date: January 13, 2002 12:32AM

Last year this was a subject discussed on U-boat.net - I have seen a photo of a toilet seat which could be fixed onto the rail beside the conning tower (starboard side in the photo I saw) so that the person using it had his arse over the sea
Could anyone tell any details about this??

Did all U-boats carry this device?
Was there more than one carried?
Was it used much? Because obviously it could not be used in a freezing North Atlantic storm.
If possible did the crew use the sea with this device "rather" than the head?
Also how did crew gain access to the main deck while at sea (yes I am thinking of some poor crewman on this seat when there is an 'Alarm'dive)?
Was it down the steps at the rear of the wintergarten - as far as I am aware the only access to the deck other than this was the for'ard and aft torpedo loading hatches which were rarely opened (on patrol) at sea except for loading supplies (torpedoes, food etc)...How were fresh torpedoes loaded at sea from a U-supply boat?
The photo mentioned above was I believe published in "U-BOAT COMMAND and THE BATTLE OF THE ATLANTIC" by-Jak P. Mallman Showell Conway Maritime Press Ltd.(1989).
From a supply ship with the greater height and derricks - no problem (at least not much), but how from another U-boat?????

Yours Harvey

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-BOAT Sanitary Facilities Harvey 01/13/2002 12:32AM
Re: U-BOAT Sanitary Facilities Don Reed 01/13/2002 06:58PM
Re: U-BOAT Sanitary Facilities Rainer Bruns 01/13/2002 09:22PM
Re: U-BOAT Sanitary Facilities Harvey 01/26/2002 02:18AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.