Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Re: Bay of Biscay 1940
Posted by: Harvey ()
Date: February 17, 2002 04:06PM

Dear Tony,
I'm sorry I can't shed any light on what 'U-boat' this could have been but have you considered the possibility that it could have been a friendly submarine just 'keeping an eye on things' or in this case a periscope.
Deck crew on ships tended to suffer from the well known disease 'periscopeitis' and everything they saw in the sea was a periscope and a U-boat periscope to boot.
I'm sure that if it was a U-boat and its commander thought the "Queen Wilhelmina" was a worthwhile target it would most certainly have attacked your mothers ship. U-boats when they ran out of torpedoes (not often) used to get home to base or resupply as soon as possible. Also at that time it would have been armed with a deck gun which U-boats (many) preferred to use if possible to conserve torpedoes. Maybe 'Prize Rules' had an influence on the commanders thoughts?
There are people on this forum who would be better equipped to answer your question than me, but you have my thoughts on the matter anyway...
Yours
Harvey

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Bay of Biscay 1940 Tony Lea 02/13/2002 01:07AM
Re: Bay of Biscay 1940 Harvey 02/17/2002 04:06PM
Re: Bay of Biscay 1940 Tony Lea 02/18/2002 04:17AM
Re: Bay of Biscay 1940 kpp 02/20/2002 10:38AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.