Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
WHAT TIME, WHAT DAY ?
Posted by: Harvey ()
Date: August 08, 2002 11:46PM

Dear All
Many thanks to all who have helped with previous enquiries…
Here's a question which has been puzzling me and from information I have seen, many others, inc. U-boat net?
As far as I am aware U-boat commanders used GST (German Standard Time - GMT + 2hrs) to record events in the KTB, is this correct?
If so what times are usually quoted when times of the sinking of vessels (for instance) are referred to in published sources etc. Because as can be seen there is great confusion over WHEN a ship was sunk etc. Not only what time but what day. The time zone and time standard used can make the difference between one day and the next. ie if a commander notes torpedoing a freighter at 01:30hrs (using GST) then someone publishes a book quoting 23:30hrs (GMT or some other because he has converted the time), then it makes the difference between being torpedoed on the Thursday or the Friday. Often then others quote this date (only) without giving the time (standard), leading to confusion of which day (although there may only be a short time involved) the torpedoing actually took place. People then reading this think how the hell can 'historians' get it so wrong that they don't even know for sure what day the bloody ship was sunk, so if they can't be sure of that how can the uninitiated reader believe any of the other (less important) details given…
Views Please
Yours
Harvey

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
WHAT TIME, WHAT DAY ? Harvey 08/08/2002 11:46PM
Re: WHAT TIME, WHAT DAY ? walter M 08/20/2002 08:05PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.