Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Re: Uboat liferafts
Posted by: Iain Scott ()
Date: August 12, 2002 04:19PM

Thanks Joe
On Dec 18/44 U1209 struck Wolf Rock while submerged killing 9 crew.
The crew managed to surface the boat,set scuttling charges and abandon the boat into yellow rafts,all 42 of them.This was all witnessed by the lightkeeper at Wolf rock Lighrhouse who reported the incident to the Admiralty.HMCS Montreal,a River class Frigate was dispatched to the scene but was 2 hours away.My father ,Stoker PO Bill Scott of Esquimalt BC was in the motor launch that rescued the survivors.While destroying the rafts he cut off a piece about 1 Ft Sq.and had 10 of the U1209 crew sign it with their home town. 57 years later I have been in contact with 14 of this crew who themselves only met again in 1999 at a reunion in Gottenburg.I Have given the artifact to the "new" HMCS Montreal at Halifax NS,it hangs proudly with a plaque dedicated to the "fine Canadian sailors who rescued us."This is a quote from Anton Kramer,the organizer of the 1999 reunion,who I correspond with now once or twice a year Through an interpreter.
Kramer said they were in the water 2 hours and very near death when Montreal arrived....no doubt! A local marine artist wants to paint the scene of the rescue with Montreal,Wolf Rock Light,the ship's motorlaunch and the men in the rafts,so now you see the question,for historical accuracy.Thanks again for the reply.....Iain

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Uboat liferafts Iain Scott 08/11/2002 02:14PM
Re: Uboat liferafts joe brandt 08/11/2002 06:44PM
Re: Uboat liferafts Iain Scott 08/12/2002 04:19PM
Re: Uboat liferafts joe brandt 08/12/2002 07:17PM
Re: Uboat liferafts Iain Scott 08/12/2002 08:43PM
Re: Uboat liferafts joe brandt 08/20/2002 01:07AM
Re: Uboat liferafts Iain Scott 09/04/2002 02:01AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.