Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
U boat hull steel type,welding techniques
Posted by: John Martin ()
Date: January 22, 2003 06:43AM

I have over the years tried to locate documentation on the following areas of interest,but to no avail:

1.Types of steels used in the manufacture of XXI and Seehund hulls,metalugical composition of the same(eg HY80).

2.Welding specifications and weld placement-pre heat and welding rod type.

3.Methods of cutting and fabrication of idividual sections,type of welding rotators used,tolerences for fit up at assembly yard.

4.Hull painting and corrosion proofing applied before and after assembly.Any zinc annodes fitted to the hulls?.

5.Material substitution due to war shortages?.

6.Techniques of stress removal from finished sub assemblys prior to final fitment.

As a welding professional,i take more than the average interest in the technilogical aspect of Uboats as there is more to the eye than just banging the bits together.I woild suspect that there are still a lot of old timers who built the assemblys arround,who would know.

Cheers John Martin

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U boat hull steel type,welding techniques John Martin 01/22/2003 06:43AM
Re: U boat hull steel type,welding techniques Scott 01/22/2003 08:38PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.