Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Re: Metal used for Conning Towers
Posted by: Scott Sorenson ()
Date: May 19, 2009 04:33PM

Dave,
I am sorry about the last note that I sent. It was caused by fat fingers, if you know what I mean.

The cylindrical pressure hull has a diameter of 4400mm (14.42 ft) and is made of 18mm (.73 inch) steel. The specification for the pressure hull plating and frames call for a tensile strength of 74000 psi with a yield point of 51300psi. The steel is known as No.52; the specification for the plates is KM 9104, and for frames is KM 9103.

The conning tower is a relatively small oval cylinder mount vertically on the pressure hull. Plating thickness is 40mm (1.18 inch). Frames are vertical. The structure is closed at the top by an elaborate steel casting incorporating periscope and hatch rings, and ribs extending to the top of the frames. The specified plating material is identified as special WH N/a, not further indentifiable with available reference material. The cover casting is of chrome-molybdenum-vanadium steel.

Scott

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Metal used for Conning Towers Dave McQueen 05/19/2009 11:41AM
Re: Metal used for Conning Towers Scott Sorenson 05/19/2009 04:21PM
Re: Metal used for Conning Towers Scott Sorenson 05/19/2009 04:33PM
Re: Metal used for Conning Towers Dave McQueen 05/20/2009 09:43AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.