Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Re: Das Boot Gibraltar
Posted by: Phil ()
Date: January 07, 2011 07:55PM

This is an interesting topic. Some years ago on TV I saw a documentary about submarines and it appears that after the war the Royal Navy did some deep trials using old submarines to see if the estimated crush depth was realistic. Well, if I remember correctly, the calculations were more or less right. They submerged a boat on cables and kept on going until the pressure hull gave way. They then brought the boat up and examined it. Here is a picture from Google showing one of the results;

[images.imagestate.com]

The result was complete devastation and no one would stand a chance of surviving. Of course the estimated crush depth was based on all the fittings not failing and only the pressure hull giving way. I may be a little hazy in my recollections but I understand externally framed boats (such as the type IX) could withstand deeper pressure than internally framed boats (such as the type VII) but I think there are more knowledgeable people out there who can confirm this.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Das Boot Gibraltar Rafik Benafla 12/23/2010 10:32AM
Re: Das Boot Gibraltar Ken Dunn 12/23/2010 11:25PM
Re: Das Boot Gibraltar Phil 01/07/2011 07:55PM
Re: Das Boot Gibraltar phil morgan 01/07/2011 10:01PM
Re: Das Boot Gibraltar Rafik Benafla 01/08/2011 01:00PM
Re: Das Boot Gibraltar DanOdenweller 01/09/2011 11:32PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.