Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Carl Bamberg Magnetic Compass Electrical connectors
Posted by: IanBell ()
Date: September 15, 2012 07:55AM

I have a 1910 Carl Bamberg U Boat compass and have a question for any of your technical or engineering guys.The compass was lit from above in its impermeable stand by two bulbs. I have just had the item renovated and refilled at a navigation company here in Aberdeen. The compass techs were amazed at the quality and construction of it. However they were puzzled as were colleagues contacted around the UK as to the function of the two connectors on its base. They speculated that to enhance the image projected from the base from the pierced compass card perhaps it was also lit from below. Its also possible that if you were reading it from the conning tower a below lit card would stand out better than one lit from above. I have Der Bau Von Unterseebooten and on page 48 it shows the stand set up but no indication of a lower light source. Any information would be very much appreciated. Best Regards Ian

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Carl Bamberg Magnetic Compass Electrical connectors IanBell 09/15/2012 07:55AM

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.