Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Development of the Schwartzkopf Torpedo
Posted by: Dronic ()
Date: November 08, 2013 10:10AM

Good Evening All,

This is my first post to this forum and hopefully will be followed by many more!

My name is Drew and I'm currently researching early torpedo pistols (fuzes) (late 1800's - early 1900s) including the German manufactured Schwartzkopf pistol. This was produced around the time that the famous Whitehead torpedo was in use, and the first Schwartzkopf torpedos were produced in 1873....

These early Schwartzkopf pistols had a characteristics "bayonet" style locking mechanism (as oppose to a screw thread) when inserted into the warhead.

What I'm unable to determine is when this system became obsolete and the later pre-WW2 G7a types were adopted?

From the limited information available, it apears that the "bayonet" style system was certainly in use in the early 1900's and may have extended into WW1..

I'm hoping someone on the forum have be able to provided further clarification on this?

Any hints, thoughts (kind ones of course!) or pointers would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Cheers
Drew

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Development of the Schwartzkopf Torpedo Dronic 11/08/2013 10:10AM

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.