Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
ASW weapons
Posted by: Tom Iwanski ()
Date: January 08, 2001 03:17PM

Hello all,

I\'ve read conflincting information about the effective range of depth charges. In \"Battle Beneath the Waves\", the author states that a dpeth charge has an effective range of 300\' at a depth of 300\', and that the effective range decreases with greater depth. Many other sources, (including u-boat.net) state that the effective range of a depth charge could be measured in the tens of feet. I assume more powerful depth charges had a larger effective radius (I even read an account of a depth charge being used that weighed over 1000 lbs. I\'ll find the source if anyone is interested), but does anyone have some accurate figures on the true effective range and how depth affected that range?

This also brings me to the question of the hedgehog, which used a 32 lb. warhead. Supposedly hits with one of these were almost always fatal, but the size of the charge was relatively small (even considering they needed to hit the u-boat directly to detonate) Why were these so effective given their small size when 300lb. depth charges could supposedly be within 50ft of a sub and not breech the pressure hull?

Many thanks,

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
ASW weapons Tom Iwanski 01/08/2001 03:17PM
RE: ASW weapons Forest 01/09/2001 04:30AM
RE: ASW weapons SuperKraut 01/11/2001 12:52PM
RE: ASW weapons Forest 01/12/2001 03:05AM
RE: ASW weapons RJR 01/12/2001 10:01AM
Thanks Tom Iwanski 01/14/2001 04:58PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.