Warship forum  
A forum for the Allied Warships section. 
HMS Beaumaris Castle - Mountain Rescue Mission.
Posted by: Adrian Wyles ()
Date: July 03, 2010 10:24PM

Dear Reader

My grandfather, Mr Author Gibson served on the HMS Beaumaris Castle during WWII. He told a story of a military aeroplane crash either in Cumbria or Scotland. The plane was carrying either US or Canadian personnel home for xmas when it is believed to have hit an air pocket and exploded. My grandfather and other crew memebrs of HMS Beaumaris Castle was sent up a hill/mountain in teams of two, with each team carry a stretcher and a blanket. All the plane crew were killed and their bodies were in bits. Each team was told to gather a head, a torso, arms and legs onto a stretcher and bring the remains down the hill where others would try and sort the bodies into their proper places. The crash site is said to have had xmas presents scattered about, together with family photos, etc.

My grandfather passed away some years ago now, but he told this story often and we are trying to find out more information about the incident. Recently, I was in Coniston, Cumbria, where I heard about the Great Carr plane crash of Canadians during WWII. I, and my family would be very grateful for any information.

Thank you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2010 12:41AM by Forum Moderator.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
HMS Beaumaris Castle - Mountain Rescue Mission. Adrian Wyles 07/03/2010 10:24PM
Re: HMS Beaumaris Castle - Mountain Rescue Mission. nicknobbyclark 07/04/2010 08:43AM
Re: HMS Beaumaris Castle - Mountain Rescue Mission. Adrian Wyles 07/05/2010 10:19AM
Re: HMS Beaumaris Castle - Mountain Rescue Mission. Bruce Dennis 07/04/2010 04:50PM
Re: HMS Beaumaris Castle - Mountain Rescue Mission. Adrian Wyles 07/05/2010 10:20AM
Re: HMS Beaumaris Castle - Mountain Rescue Mission. Adrian Wyles 07/19/2010 11:37AM
Re: HMS Beaumaris Castle - Mountain Rescue Mission. David Southall 02/15/2017 08:07PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.