Warship forum  
A forum for the Allied Warships section. 
Re: u-boats(bootes)
Date: February 19, 2004 09:13PM

<HTML>Cody:

The most common type of U-Boat used during WWII was the TYPE VII U-Boat. Over 700 were built. The TYPE IX was next and was usually used for longer more distant patrols. The TYPE VII was used frequently in "Wolfpacks" where several U-Boats would shadow and then attack a convoy together.

This site is an excellent location to find out more information on these and other U-Boats. The TYPE XXI which started to be commissioned at the very end of the war featured a great leap in technological improvements such as underwater speed and endurance and is worth checking as well.

There are certain U-Boats and commanders who were quite famous during WWII. Some examples are:

U-47, U-48, U-96, U-99, U-100, U-123, U-124, U-181, U-333, and U-552

Famous commanders include:
Otto Kretschmer
Wolfgang Luth
Erich Topp
Gunther Prien
Heinrich Liebe
Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Victor Schutze
Engelbert Endrass
and others

You can get information on EACH of these U-Boats and commanders on this site. Check THE BOATS and THE MEN options on the home page.

If you are looking for books to read, then let me know...I will be glad to make suggestions as will other U-Boat.net members I am sure.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Doug</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
u-boats(bootes) cody 02/19/2004 06:58PM
Re: u-boats(bootes) Douglas Struthers 02/19/2004 09:13PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.