Warship forum  
A forum for the Allied Warships section. 
Re: HMS KIPLON
Posted by: Dave Freeman ()
Date: March 31, 2004 06:29PM

HMS KYLEMORE J101 was a an auxiliary minelayer, the former Vulcan. She was sunk by aircraft on 21 Aug 1940 but I regret I do not have any other details.

HMS CLACTON J151 was mined 31 Dec 1943 but again I have no details.

Do you have a copy of your father's Certificate of Service? That will tell you what ship(s) he served in.

There were literally over 1,000 M/S in the RN. Some sources you can check:

1. College, JJ. Ships of the Royal Navy: an Historical Index. Two Vols. David & Charles: Newton Abbott, 1969.

2. Lenton, HT. British and Empire Warships of the Second World War. Naval Institute Press: Annapolis, 1998.

And look for other titles by the both authors. They have done a lot of work in the same area.

3. Ships of the RN - Statement of Losses During 2nd World War. Patrick Stephens: Cambridge, 1977. This is a reprint of the original HMSO book of 1947.

4. Young, J. A Dictionary of ships of the RN of the 2nd World War.

Just for your information, seamen serve IN ships, not ON them. Think of the building you work IN. People only work ON that buuilding when it is under construction.

Good luck in your search.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
HMS KIPLON David Evans 03/28/2004 11:32AM
Re: HMS KIPLON David H 03/29/2004 01:17AM
Re: HMS KIPLON Dave Freeman 03/31/2004 06:29PM

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.