Warship forum  
A forum for the Allied Warships section. 
Appeal for information about WWII ships sunk in Thames
Posted by: Rob Hoole ()
Date: May 18, 2008 11:01PM

I am relaying this request. Can anyone help please?

"I am carrying out some research for a BBC documentary about the River Thames. During this show, we will be featuring several known wreck sites that are due to be investigated by the PLA this summer. Of these, four are ships known to have been sunk by mine or German bombing during the war, and we are exploring avenues for telling the story of this aspect of the war.

What is of interest to us is that these ships were requisitioned civilian vessels adapted for military use. We have good records for the wrecks themselves, but are hoping to find out more about the crews of these ships and, ideally, find some living descendants of the crews. It's a long shot, but your organisation may just have records of these ships and their crews, and may know more about them.

The ships are:

HMS ASH – Fishing trawler/Minesweeper ‘Tree-class’; sunk by mine June 5th 1941
HMS AISHA – Steel yacht used as harbour defence patrol craft; sunk by mine 11th October 1940
HMS AMETHYST (AKA Phyllis Rosalie) - steel trawler used as anti-sub ship; sunk by mine 24th November 1940
SS LETCHWORTH – commercial cargo vessel (collier) sunk by aerial bombing 1st November 1940 during trip from Blythe to London

If you feel you may be able to help, I would very much like to hear from you.

Very best wishes

Kate Edwards

Assistant producer
'Thames' Touch Productions
+44 (0)12 2548 4666

E-mail 'kate(at)touchproductions(dot)co(dot)uk'

Best wishes,

Rob Hoole
[www.mcdoa.org.uk]

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Appeal for information about WWII ships sunk in Thames Rob Hoole 05/18/2008 11:01PM
Re: Appeal for information about WWII ships sunk in Thames spatzthecat 05/19/2008 02:19PM
Re: Appeal for information about WWII ships sunk in Thames Rob Hoole 05/19/2008 11:16PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.