WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Re: Rescue of British flyers by U-boat
Posted by: Michael Lowrey ()
Date: January 20, 2004 11:57PM

<HTML>Rainer,

Tough one. While obviously a Flanders-based boat, which one is going to be difficult to figure out.

I have checked Bendert's two books, and I can't find a reference to this. That doesn't mean that it didn't happen. It's possible Spindler mentions it, but it may have been too minor an event to include. It's also possible I suppose there's no mention because the pilots were recovered by a surface ship. In any case, the answer is probably in the KTBs.

Some possibilities:

Of the UBIIs and UCIIs, the only option appears to be UB 31, which returned to port on May 25th from patrol.

More likely though is an UBI or UCI. These went out on two or three day patrols about once a week. By 1917, they weren't achieving that much so rate only a scant mention in Bendert. I cannot be sure which boats were at sea when. Boats based in Flanders in May 1917 were UB 10, UB 12, UB 16, UB 17, UC 1, UC 4 (definitely at sea on May 25-26, 1917), UC 6, UC 11 (apparently returned home from patrol on May 25, 1917), and UC 14.

Best wishes,

Michael</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Rescue of British flyers by U-boat Rainer Kolbicz 01/20/2004 09:57PM
Re: Rescue of British flyers by U-boat Michael Lowrey 01/20/2004 11:57PM
Re: Rescue of British flyers by U-boat Oliver Lörscher 01/21/2004 08:27PM
Re: Rescue of British flyers by U-boat Rainer Kolbicz 01/22/2004 05:39PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.