WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Re: U-boat photos/stories in Wiener Bilder - In Austrian Newspaper Archine Onlin
Posted by: Eric S ()
Date: January 21, 2007 04:43PM

Daniel,

Yes, there are other online newspaper archives available.

I and another forum member, Ken Dunn, have been trying to get the research sources sections of this site as well as ubootwaffe.net updated with this info. I was about to give up and post on the General section of the forum, but 'no time like the present' as they say.

Our interest is more in the Second World War, but these sources span both wars (among others).

In brief here is an excerpt from Ken's excellent write-up:

"www.newspaperarchive.com is creating a database containing the newspapers of America, Canada, U.K., Ireland, Denmark, Jamaica, South Africa, Japan, Germany, and the US Virgin Islands that is searchable with a Google-like search. Some of the American newspapers date back to the 1800s and the London Times go back to the 1700s."

In addition to that major US papers such as The New York Times and The Washington Post have their own searchable archives.

There are fees for using these services, but most offer a trial period so you can verify their usefulness to you.

In addition to these newspaper archives, I stumbled across an article on a new feature Google is offering awhile back, called Google News Archive Search:

From the Google toolbar on your browser hit the drop down menu with the "G" in the box and "search" next to it, scroll down to "search news" and select.

This will bring you to Google’s News page. Over to the right just under the main Google news search (for current news) you'll see a link flagged as "New!" called "News archive search". Click that and you be brought to a new page where you can type in your key words and let the fun begin.

In addition to that, some news organizations such as the Associated Press keep photo archives.

All these pieces came together for me last fall when the Google search led me to the newspaperarchive.com site. There I found an article on the ship I have been researching, the SS Arkansan, and it had a photo of her I had not seen before which it credited to the AP. I contacted the AP and after just a few e-mails back and forth they were able to locate a beautiful picture of her, which I then purchased through the Pictopia on-line photo service.

I hope this is helpful to you as well, and perhaps we can add your link to the list of sources.

Best Regards,

Eric Stone

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-boat photos/stories in Wiener Bilder - In Austrian Newspaper Archine Online Daniel Stern 01/18/2007 08:35PM
Re: U-boat photos/stories in Wiener Bilder - In Austrian Newspaper Archine Onlin Eric S 01/21/2007 04:43PM
Re: U-boat photos/stories in Wiener Bilder - In Austrian Newspaper Archine Onlin PatW 01/23/2007 02:03PM
Re: U-boat photos/stories in Wiener Bilder - In Austrian Newspaper Archine Onlin Eric S 01/24/2007 05:14PM
Re: U-boat photos/stories in Wiener Bilder - In Austrian Newspaper Archive Onlin Daniel Stern 01/27/2007 08:12PM
Re: U-boat photos/stories in Wiener Bilder - In Austrian Newspaper Archine Onlin Yves D 01/22/2007 12:21PM
Re: U-boat photos/stories in Wiener Bilder - In Austrian Newspaper Archine Onlin Ed Dalder 02/08/2007 01:01AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.