WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Re: U-boats shelter's in Belgium
Posted by: Deryck Swetnam ()
Date: January 27, 2008 06:21PM

Hi Freddy,

I have a set of photogaphs , on loan, which show the U Boat pens at Brugge. They must have been taken by the Belgian Army as they have the stamp from the Belgian Army Museum on the back. Unfortunatly, they are not dated as clearly they were taken on at least two different occasions.The first ones are mostly of the uncompleted pens, but there are others showing different parts of the harbour. I believe that two of the scuttled floating docks can be seen in these pictures, No9 in front of the pens and No10 at a part of the harbour I cannot identify. Another set taken at a later date show that the harbour has been drained and No9 floating dock is being cut up. Another picture shows No11 floating dock, which having latticed sides can be seen to be almost empty. However, I have seen another photograph in in a book of No11 dock from a different angle and quite clearly the wreck of UB59 can be seen inside. In the photograph in my possesion it looks as if the UBoat had been taken out of the dock and beached nearby.

I have written to the Belgian Army Museum asking about these photographs, but have not had a reply yet.

Hope this is of interest,

Deryck

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-boats shelter's in Belgium Freddy 05/01/2007 11:26AM
Re: U-boats shelter's in Belgium Mark vanRoosendael 01/05/2008 10:29PM
Re: U-boats shelter's in Belgium Freddy 01/07/2008 10:48AM
Re: U-boats shelter's in Belgium Deryck Swetnam 01/27/2008 06:21PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.