WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Merchant U-Boat Bremen, looking for information.
Posted by: Steven Zukosky ()
Date: May 12, 2008 11:21PM

Dear Gentelmen,

I am doing research for a book on the merchant U-boats of World War One. I have quite a bit of information on the U-Deutschland; however, the U-Bremen is another matter. I have a copy of Dwight Messimer’s book The Merchant U-Boat and it has a chapter devoted to the Bremen. This chapter has more information than all my other sources combined. Dozens of other books mention the U-Bremen in passing, but it usually adds up to one sentence. I also have an English translation of the few pages dealing with the loss of the Bremen from Hartmut Swerdtfeger und Erik Herlyn, Die Handels-U-Boote Deutschland und Bremen.
I am trying to locate three main pieces of information on the U-Bremen:
1. The cargo manifests. Nobody really knows what it was carrying, however the best guess is a cargo similar to the U-Deutschland.
2. The crew manifest. The name of the captain is the only name that survives. The rest of the crew remains lost to history.
3. Any photographs of the U-Bremen.

The u-boat Bremen sailed on August 26, 1916, and was never seen again. It did radio back that it was nearing the Orkney Islands on schedule, and then nothing.

If you should happen across any other information on the U-Bremen I would gladly pay for any copies. Even if the information is written in German, I am still interested. I have friends that can do the translating for me.
I thank you for any possible help.

Sincerely,
Steven Zukosky

P.S If you happen to know of any other sources of information on this subject; I would be grateful if you could let me know.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Merchant U-Boat Bremen, looking for information. Steven Zukosky 05/12/2008 11:21PM
Re: Merchant U-Boat Bremen, looking for information. Michael Lowrey 05/13/2008 12:35AM
Re: Merchant U-Boat Bremen, looking for information. Michael D. 05/13/2008 09:46AM
Re: Merchant U-Boat Bremen, looking for information. Steven Zukosky 05/14/2008 12:52AM
Re: Merchant U-Boat Bremen, looking for information. Steven Zukosky 05/14/2008 12:10AM
Re: Merchant U-Boat Bremen, looking for information. Michael D. 05/14/2008 08:05PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.