WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
looking for a picture
Posted by: R.Carlisle ()
Date: October 02, 2008 04:14PM

Forum Members:
After much research, I am publishing a book on U.S. ships sunk between Feb 1 and April 6, 1917, that resulted in the U.S. declaring war on Germany. Thanks to suggestions from Michael Lowery and Oliver Lorscher, I substantiated the fact that one of the ten ships that led the U.S. to declare war was NOT sunk by a German sub, but by a mine, laid by the British two nights before. That ship was the Healdton, an Esso tanker. The book, entitled "Sovereignty At Sea" will be in press for a while, and will probably come out late in 2009 or early 2010. The publisher is a major U.S. university press. In the meantime, I published an article "The attacks on U.S. shipping that Precipitated American Entry into World War I," in The Northern Mariner (July 2007 edition).

My question for forum members who might be able to help, is that I am looking for a high-resolution image of the Healdton. I have images for the book of most of the other ten ships lost (the other nine were lost to u-boats). But tracking down a good image of the Healdton has been very frustrating. I would very much appreciate hearing from anyone with any knowledge of an archival or library copy of such an image.

And, Michael and Oliver, Thanks very much for your earlier good information and ideas.

Rodney Carlisle

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
looking for a picture R.Carlisle 10/02/2008 04:14PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.